A comprehensive translation service does not end with the translation itself and its verification or editing. It also encompasses preparation for publication/printing. DTP is usually a necessary service in the case of technical or marketing translation, but it is not limited to these areas only.
Experts in DTP work on files which require graphical interference in addition to translation. The objective may be to preserve the original layout or, conversely, to alter it due to factors such as the usage of a different alphabet or the characteristics of the target market.
The purpose of DTP is to:
– Preserve the original graphical layout of the document after translation,
– Alter the graphical layout to better suit the characteristics of the target language,
– Completely change the graphical layout of the document,
– Convert documents which cannot be edited and prepare them for translation (OCR),
– Adapt the materials for printing or publication in the required format,
– Verify the quality of the graphical composition of the text (typography, compatibility with source files).
The client is always informed about the necessity of using DTP services during initial cost estimation.